Spotlight on Churches
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception,
The Immaculate Conception parish family was established in 1921 by Bishop Thomas Sebastian Byrne. The original structure was a three-story brick building with the top floor reserved for Sunday school education. Today this entire building is the Cathedral Elementary School.
In 1927, construction on the present church began as a domed-over crypt building. A decade later, the upper church was completed during the depression. The architectural style is described as Romanesque, Spanish Colonial Revival. Upon dedication in July 1938 it was deemed the “largest sanctuary in Memphis” and membership had reached 6,000.
On January 6, 1971, Pope Paul VI created the Diocese of Memphis in Tennessee and Immaculate Conception became the Mother Church. Today, the Cathedral parish has approximately 800 families and 430 students in its school.
To learn more about The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and the Diocese of Memphis please visit, www.iccathedral.org and www.cdom.org.
Blessed Sacrament Cathedral,
The parish family of Blessed Sacrament was formed in 1789. The first church was constructed of logs, but was never completed due to insufficient funds. Because of this, the parishioners worshipped in neighboring cities for over 50 years. Finally in 1846 Redemptorist Father John Henry Neumann as well as the priests and monks of the Order of St. Benedict built the second church building. The church was made of brick and was 30 x 70 feet.
The Benedictine priests from Saint Vincent Monastery assumed responsibility of the parish for nearly 100 years. Benedictine Father Agatho Stuebinger took his place as pastor, erected a new rectory in 1885 and the third church building in 1887. The church was 45 x 100 feet made of brick with natural stone trim and capable of holding 400 parishioners. Due to the prosperity of the area it became necessary for the establishment of six additional parishes in outlying areas.
By the early 1920s, again a larger church building became necessary to support the growing parish. The new structure that remains until the present day was built in English Gothic style. English Gothic architecture is defined by its buttresses, pointed arches and vaulted roofs. It was built of sandstone with Indiana limestone trim and dedicated in May 1928. Blessed Sacrament Parish became the cathedral of the Diocese of Greensburg on March 10, 1951.
To learn more about the history of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral and the Diocese of Greensburg, please visit their websites at www.blessedsacramentcathedral.org or www.dioceseofgreensburg.org.
Cathedral of the Incarnation,
The Cathedral of the Incarnation is the second parish in the Diocese of Nashville. Construction of the cathedral began in 1910, lasted four and a half years and was formally dedicated on July 26, 1914.
The cathedral resembles a typical Roman basilica: rectangular in shape serving as a court of law during the Roman Empire. The exterior is comprised of yellow glazed brick and a red tile roof which was modeled after the church of San Martino ai Monti in Rome. The tower, rising 100 feet above the Cathedral, is a replica of St. Damase in Rome.
The cathedral interior is decorated in 13th-century Italian Renaissance style. Just two of the many beautiful features are the ceiling and clerestory windows. The ceiling is made of an ornamental plaster called rigalico. Upon the plaster, symbols associated with the death of Jesus are placed in the north end of the nave, while His birth is represented near the sanctuary on the south end. The clerestory windows were designed to provide light and to focus one's attention on the sanctuary. They include blue-flashed glass hand blown in France, antique lead crystal glass, a clear glass that forms a checkerboard effect, prisms and floral patterns made from glass paint. On sunny days, the prisms cast rainbows throughout the Cathedral.
To learn more about the architecture and history of the Cathedral of the Incarnation and the Diocese of Nashville, please visit their websites at www.nashvillecathedral.com/ or www.dioceseofnashville.com/.
Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace,
The Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary founded the first Hawaiian Roman Catholic Church and consecrated the Hawaiian Islands under the protection of Our Lady of Peace. Today, the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace in Honolulu is the oldest Roman Catholic cathedral in continuous use in the United States and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Many renovations took place throughout the cathedral’s 150+ year history. One significant renovation was deemed a failure. In the early 1900s, the apostolic vicar, Libert Hubert John Louis Boeynaems wanted to transform Our Lady of Peace into a Gothic structure similar to those in Europe. After the first phase of the project, it became apparent the new look of the cathedral did not suit its surroundings and it became too costly to complete.
The following apostolic vicar, Stephen Peter Alencastre, removed everything Gothic from the cathedral. The walls were covered in plaster and painted white and red Spanish terra cotta tiles covered the roof. This new Romanesque revival style has been carried into the present day.
To commemorate the centennial year a white marble altar with statues of Mary and Joseph was crafted by Italian artists and installed as a gift to the Catholics of Hawaii. For the 150th anniversary the sanctuary was lowered to expand the worship space and a wooden altar and ambo were placed in the center aisle. The new baptismal pool was created from the material of the old marble altar.
For more information on the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace and the Diocese of Honolulu, please see www.cathedralofourladyofpeace.com or www.catholichawaii.org/.
Cathedral of the Sacred Heart,
Irish and German settlers arrived in the area of Winona in the early 1850s. To accommodate each nationality and language differences, two separate parish churches were established. St. Thomas Church was the first Catholic parish formed in Winona in 1857 and St. Joseph Church accommodated the German Catholic population formed in 1862.
In 1944 it became apparent that a larger Cathedral was necessary to accommodate the growing diocese. Since St. Thomas and St. Joseph Church were only four blocks apart, it was decided that they would merge to form the new Cathedral of the Sacred Heart and was completed in 1952.
In 2007, the cathedral underwent renovations that included the enhancement of the pipe organ to approve acoustics. The organ was also moved since it originally blocked most of the main entrance window. This allowed the stained glass window of Christ the King to show more vibrantly. A large full immersion baptismal font was created and placed at the back of the church in line with the altar. This placement is symbolic of the journey through the waters of baptism to the altar.
For more information about the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart and the Diocese of Winona, please see www.cathedralwinona.org/ or www.dow.org/.
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Augustine,
Saint Augustine, FL
While traveling at sea, Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés founded the city of St. Augustine on August 28, 1565. Menéndez named the city after Saint Augustine of Hippo whose feast day is celebrated that day. He came ashore on September 8 and participated in the celebration of the sacrament, marking the birth of “America’s First Parish.”
Throughout the years, the parish church structure was burned to the ground several times. The Cathedral structure, as we see it today, was completed in 1797 in a Spanish Mission style. It has a red tiled roof and walls made of coquina. Coquina is a quarried stone that is originally extremely soft making it easy to quarry and shape as needed. Over a few years time as the stone dries it hardens and becomes suitable for construction.
Another major restoration took place in 1887 after a fire spread from the St. Augustine hotel to the church. At this time the beautiful bell tower was installed. In 1976, St. Augustine Cathedral was elevated to a Minor Basilica, by His Holiness Pope Paul VI and was listed on the National Historic List of Places in the United States.
To read more about the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Augustine and the Diocese of Saint Augustine, please see www.thefirstparish.org/ or www.dosafl.com/.
Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe,
In 1869, Dallas’ first Catholic parish, Sacred Heart Church, was created. Sacred Heart was elevated to Cathedral status in 1890 and due to the increase in Catholic population, a larger cathedral was needed. The new cathedral structure was built in High Victorian Gothic Architecture style and completed in 1902. This style features gabled roofs, pointed arches, tracery and heavy stone and brickwork of contrasting colors.
On December 12, 1977, Sacred Heart merged with Our Lady of Guadalupe to help support the growing Mexican population. It was at this time Sacred Heart Cathedral was renamed, the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe (Cathedral Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe). It is only one of two cathedrals in the United States to honor Our Lady of Guadalupe who is the patroness of the Americas.
Some notable features of the cathedral are:
- A stained glass window dedicated to Father Jeffrey Harnett, pastor at the time the new cathedral was being constructed. He provided spiritual guidance to the sick during a small pox epidemic, contracted the disease himself and died in 1899.
- The crown above the Virgin Mary is 24-karat gold-plated and encrusted with jewels.
- The altar’s base is comprised of four pedestals where each pedestal is made of three columns. The three columns are representative of the Holy Trinity and all of the twelve columns represent the Apostles of Christ.
To read more about the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe and the Diocese of Dallas, please see www.cathedralguadalupe.org/ or www.cathdal.org/.
Holy Angels Cathedral
Holy Angels Parish became the home of the first Catholic Church in Gary, Indiana in September 1906. The church building served two purposes, a school on the first floor and church on the second floor. The representing nationalities among the founding parishioners were from Eastern European countries including Irish, German and Italian. The early settlers were part of the construction of the steel mill, buildings for businesses and homes for workers.
By the parish’s 25th Anniversary the church supported over 3,000 parishioners and the school 500 pupils. It was evident at this time the parish was in dire need of a larger church and school to support the growing population. On October 26, 1947, plans were completed, construction began and the cornerstone was laid. The new church was dedicated January 29, 1950 and was elevated to cathedral on February 25, 1957.
Over the decades the local steel mill attracted a wide variety of ethnic workers who in turn came to Holy Angels Cathedral for worship. To support the growing Latino population masses are held in both Spanish and English since the 1980’s. Special celebrations of San Juan Bautista (St. John the Baptist) in June and Our Lady of Guadalupe in December became a regular part of parish life.
Holy Angels Cathedral is proud of its ethnic diversity. This diversity is celebrated in the Holy Angels Mosaic on the sanctuary platform. Each of the four corners bears an angel in the following likenesses: African, Anglo, Asian and Hispanic inviting all the faithful to join together in worship.
For more information about the Diocese of Gary or Holy Angels Cathedral, please visit www.dcgary.org or www.garycluster.org/hac/.
Cathedral of the Madeleine
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Cathedral of the Madeleine was completed in 1909 after nine years of construction. The massive structure has a Romanesque exterior composed of Utah sandstone and is characterized by semi-circular arches and large towers. There are eight gargoyles perched on the towers. These gargoyles, now weighing 1,200 lbs each, were replaced during the five-year renovation ending in 1980 due to erosion. Included in the renovation was the restoration of the sandstone, a new copper roof, and the addition of a tympanum over the main doors. The stained glass windows in the sanctuary were also removed and re-leaded before being reinstalled.
The cathedral has a Gothic interior characterized by the pointed arches and ribbed vaults. Many stained glass windows created by various designers grace the walls. The rose window in particular is set above the organ and includes St. Cecilia, patroness of music, surrounded by angels with musical instruments. In 1992, a new organ designed by Kenneth Jones and Associates of Bray, Ireland was installed. The organ, which has 4,066 pipes serves both liturgical and concert purposes.
The Cathedral of the Madeleine is the only cathedral named for Mary Magdalene. The cathedral's name was changed to the French spelling of her name in 1916 by Bishop Joseph Glass. Her image appears several times throughout the cathedral. In stained glass, she encounters the resurrected Christ. In paintings, Mary Magdalen is shown anointing Christ’s feet and also looking upwards at Christ on the Cross.
The cathedral is listed on both the Utah and National Register of Historic Places and celebrated its centennial year on August 15, 2009. Please be sure to view the panorama of the beautiful cathedral interior.
To read more about the Cathedral of the St. Madeleine and the Diocese of Salt Lake City, please visit saltlakecathedral.org/ or www.dioslc.org/.
St. Mary Cathedral
The Diocese of Gaylord was established on July 20, 1971 and comprises the 21 most northern counties of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. The Church of St. Mary of Mt. Carmel, which was built in 1900, served as the first cathedral to the diocese until the current church was built in 1975. The fifth anniversary celebration of the diocese and consecration of St. Mary Cathedral was held on July 25, 1976.
Octagon in shape, the cathedral’s architecture enables worshippers to be placed no more than twelve rows from the center of the sanctuary. The baptismal font, positioned at the entrance of the cathedral, is also octagon in shape and is aligned with the altar and cathedra. The altar is made of Vermont granite and houses the relics of Matthew, Mark and Luke amongst bone fragments of other saints. The pipe organ stands to the left of the altar. It was hand-built by the Gabriel Kney Company with 30 stops and over 2,000 pipes. The choir stands in front of the organ facing the altar.
Shrines of the Sacred Heart, St. Joseph, the Blessed Virgin (appellation of Our Lady of Czestochowa) and Bishop Baraga (the "Snowshoe Priest") are located within the cathedral. Tributes to Mary from the Litany of the Blessed Mother, a devotional prayer, are written in the stained glass windows.
To read more about the St. Mary Cathedral and the Diocese of Gaylord, please visit www.stmarycathedral.org or www.dioceseofgaylord.org.
2009 Spotlight on Churches
Cathedral of St. Joseph
The Diocese of Hartford was created in 1843. Even though the city of Hartford was the central location of the diocesan boundaries the mother church was located in Providence, Rhode Island where the Catholic population was greater. In 1872, the rise in Catholic population made it necessary for the Hartford Diocese to divide and form the Diocese of Providence.
The Diocese of Hartford was now in need of a place of worship. While the new cathedral was being constructed, masses were held in the chapel of the convent. Finally, in 1879 the Cathedral of St. Joseph was dedicated. The cathedral was cruciform in shape and Gothic in design. The exterior was rough brown stone with three double doorways that lead into the vestibule.
In 1953, the diocese was elevated to archdiocese. Over the years, not much changed about the appearance of the cathedral until New Year’s Eve 1956. A fire with unknown cause destroyed the Cathedral of St. Joseph. The cathedral was damaged beyond repair so the cornerstone was moved to the proposed location of the new cathedral.
After many years of planning and construction the new Cathedral of St. Joseph was dedicated on May 15, 1962. The structure is U-shaped and contemporary in design built of reinforced cast concrete covered in limestone. The faceted stained glass windows were crafted in Paris. These sunlit 67-ft windows provide a breathtaking cascade of colors throughout the cathedral. The tower is topped with a 25-foot stainless steel cross and holds 12 cast bronze bells that were imported from Holland.
To read more about the Cathedral of St. Peter and the Archdiocese of Kansas City, KS please visit www.archdioceseofhartford.org/ or www.cathedralofsaintjoseph.com/.
The Cathedral of St. Peter
Kansas City, KS
Due to the growing Catholic population, St. Peter’s parish family was created in Kansas City at the end of 1907. With no house of worship in place, the first mass was celebrated at the Bishop’s residence where 126 people attended. Miraculously, funds were raised in record time and St. Peter’s Church and school were officially dedicated less than a year later on September 7, 1908.
In 1947, the See City transferred from Leavenworth to Kansas City and so the Diocese of Kansas City, KS was created. St. Peter’s was bestowed the honor of becoming the cathedral to the diocese in 1948. Then in 1952, the diocese was elevated to archdiocese.
2007 marked St. Peter’s centennial celebration. Included in the festivities was the creation of a time capsule scheduled to be opened in 2057.
To read more about the Cathedral of St. Peter and the Archdiocese of Kansas City, KS please visit www.cathedralkck.org/ or www.archkck.org.
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Mobile’s Cathedral Parish was established on July 20, 1703. The cathedral structure that stands today began construction in 1835 in a Roman basilica design. The columns and eight immense Doric style columns were added in the 1870s and the two towers were added in 1884. The many elegant stained glass windows, made by Franz Mayer & Co., took twenty years to create and install.
Over the course of time, the cathedral experienced its share of disasters, including an explosion, a fire, an airplane hit, and hurricanes; yet, the structure still stood. Amazingly, all the damage was repairable. More recent restorations included extensive cleaning and repair of the exterior. The interior coffers were decorated with alternating gold-leafed fleur-de-lis and shamrock, symbolically representing the Trinity, as well as the contributions of the French and Irish religious to the life of the Archdiocese. New lighting and color scheme brightens the interior. White marble flooring was installed in the aisles and the pine floors under the pews were refinished. Embedded in the marble floor of the main aisle are the coats-of-arms of the Mobile bishops and archbishops.
For more information about the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and the Archdiocese of Mobile, please see www.mobilecathedral.org or www.mobilearchdiocese.org.
Cathedral of Christ the King
The Cathedral of Christ the King was constructed in the French Gothic Revival form in the 1930s on a 4-acre plot of land. The structure is composed of marble and beholds glorious stained glass windows created by Willet Stained Glass Studios of Philadelphia. It was established as a parish on June 15, 1936. In January of the following year, Pope Pius XI decreed the Diocese become the Diocese of Savannah-Atlanta and on July 2, 1956, the Diocese of Atlanta was established. Then on February 21, 1962 the diocesan status was raised to form the Archdiocese of Atlanta. Today this vibrant cathedral family consists of over 4,700 registered parishioners and 200 ministries.
For more information about the Cathedral of Christ the King or the Archdiocese of Atlanta, please see www.cathedralofchristtheking.org/eng/ or www.archatl.com/.
Cathedral of the Holy Cross
The Cathedral of the Holy Cross originated as a parish church in 1788 and was elevated to cathedral when the Diocese of Boston was created in 1808. Due to the rapid growth of the Catholic population, there was a need for a larger cathedral. In 1866, construction for the new cathedral began. The structure was built in the Gothic Revival form using the materials of Roxbury puddingstone and limestone for the trim. Roxbury puddingstone, which is a grain and pebble mixture, is the bedrock underlying most of Roxbury, now a part of Boston. Roxbury Puddingstone was named the official rock of Massachusetts in1983. In 1875, nine and a half years after breaking ground, the cathedral was dedicated and the diocese made archdiocese.
For more history about the Cathedral of the Holy Cross and the Archdiocese of Boston, please visit www.angelfire.com/ma4/cathedral/home.html or www.bostoncatholic.org/.
Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption
After three years of construction, the Cathedral of St. Mary’s was formally blessed in May of 1971.
San Francisco, California
The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption is the third structure belonging to the parish family that originated in 1840. Old Saint Mary, built in 1854, was the original church structure and still exists today. The second structure, built in 1891, perished in a fire in 1962.
Plans for the new cathedral’s design were inspired by architectural critics and encouraged by Vatican Counsel II to create a modern design. This modern design needed to represent the prominence of urban life in the great city of San Francisco. The most remarkable feature is the four corners of the structure that curve elegantly upwards to depict a cross. Despite the modern influence of the main structure, a traditional red brick was used for flooring keeping intact its historical roots.
For more history about the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption and the Archdiocese of San Francisco, please visit www.stmarycathedralsf.org or www.sfarchdiocese.org/.
The Cathedral of St. John
The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist is both the Mother Church of the Diocese of Cleveland, and a vibrant parish community in the heart of the city. This church is where the bishop’s chair or “cathedra” is located. The Cathedral is the “Mother Church” for over 800,000 Catholics in the Diocese of Cleveland. The cornerstone was laid on October 22, 1848. Additional property was purchased and the first Mass was held in the temporary chapel of the Nativity on Christmas Day of 1848. The Cathedral, built in what was called a French or ornamental Gothic style, was completed in 1852. The Cathedral, in the heart of downtown Cleveland, is an historical building which stands as an enduring symbol of all those who have worked to build the Diocese of Cleveland for close to 160 years. . On May 15, 2006, Bishop Richard G. Lennon was installed as the 10th Bishop of the 159 year old Diocese.
For more history and links visit: http://www.saintjohncathedral.com or http://dioceseofcleveland.org/.
Cathedral of Saint Mary
The Cathedral of Saint Mary recently celebrated its 50th anniversary. Its roots however date back to 1929 when under the title of the Little River Mission Club a small group of men and women undertook the task of forming a new parish in South Florida. In 1930 as the Catholic population grew a new parish was formed and Saint Mary’s celebrated its first Mass.
In 1958 a new phase began as sixteen counties of southern Florida formerly part of the Diocese of St. Augustine united to officially form the Diocese of Miami. That same year the Vatican recognized Saint Mary’s as the new cathedral and Coleman F. Carroll was installed as the first Bishop of Miami. The Cathedral has had many renovations over the years. Its devotion to Mary is depicted prominently over the choir stalls, known as the presbyterium, where a continuous glass mosaic forms scenes from the life of Mary.
The Cathedral serves the rich and diverse Diocese. There presently are 128 Catholic parishes, missions, and ethnic apostolates in Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties serving nearly 800,000 practicing Roman Catholics.
For more history and links visit: www.cathedralofsaintmary.com or http://www.miamiarch.org.
Basilica of the National Shrine
The Basilca is the largest Roman Catholic church in the United States and North America, and one of the ten largest churches in the world, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception welcomes pilgrims and tourists alike from across the country and around the world.
of the Immaculate Conception,
As early as 1846, the Bishops of the United States declared that a Catholic church, “is to be built in Washington after the manner of the great cathedrals of the Old World from subscriptions of every Catholic Parish in America.”
Spanning the late 19th, 20th and now 21st century, American Catholics would indeed build a sanctuary that rivals those of Europe and the world, not only in size but in stature as well—in sacred art, architecture, history and heritage.
Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, patroness of the United States, the Basilica is the nation’s preeminent Marian shrine. With over 70 chapels and oratories that relate to the peoples, cultures and traditions that are the tapestry of the Catholic faith and the mosaic of our great nation, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is indeed, America’s Catholic church.
1846, the Bishops of the United States declared that a Catholic church, “is to be built in Washington after the manner of the great cathedrals of the Old World from subscriptions of every Catholic
For more history and links visit: www.nationalshrine.com
The Saint Louis Cathedral
New Orleans, Louisiana
The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France is the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States. Since 1727 New Orleanians have worshipped in churches on this site. The site was designated for a new parish church, dedicated to Louis IX, sainted King of France, in 1721. The early church was destroyed in a fire in 1788 and slowly rebuilt over a six year period. The recognizable central bell tower, which still rings out on each hour, and clock date back to the early 1800’s. The baroque altar centerpiece dates back to 1852. A remarkable church in a remarkable, historic city.
For more history and links visit: www.stlouiscathedral.org/ or www.arch-no.org/
St. Vibiana’s Cathedral 1885
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
Our Lady of the Angels
Los Angeles, California
The Cathedral Church of Los Angeles had its ground blessing in September, 1997. It’s history dates back to 1876 when the original Mother Church of the city, St. Vibiana, was dedicated. St. Vibiana remained the seat of the archdiocese until 1996. The current cathedral was renamed to reflect the city it serves and recalls the founding of the city as El Pueblo de nuestra Senora, Reina de los Angeles in 1781.
For more history and links visit: www.olacathedral.org/
Holy Name Cathedral
Holy Name Cathedral, formally the Cathedral of the Holy Name, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, one of the largest Roman Catholic dioceses in the United States. It is also the parish church of the Archbishop of Chicago. Holy Name was born from the destructive Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and succeeds the original Holy Name and St. Mary Churches. The cathedral was finally dedicated on November 21, 1875.
For more history links to the Cathedral’s site visit - www.holynamecathedral.org/ and www.archdiocese-chgo.org/
of Saints Peter and Paul
HThe Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul, modeled after the Lombard Church of St. Charles (San Carlo al Corso) in Rome, is of the Roman-Corinthian style of architecture. The structure dates from 1846. Francis Patrick Kenrick, then Bishop of Philadelphia initiated the building venture. It was continued through the tenures of his successors, Saint John Neumann and Archbishop Wood, and completed in 1864.
The Cathedral-Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul is the largest brownstone structure and one of the most architecturally eminent structures in the city of Philadelphia. It was largely decorated by Constantino Brumidi, who painted the dome of the Capitol in Washington, DC. The cathedral is the largest Catholic Church in Pennsylvania and was named to the list of U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
For more history visit- www.sspeterpaulcathedral.catholicweb.com/ or archphila.org/home.php
The Baltimore Basilica
Welcome to America's First Cathedral, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Baltimore, Maryland. In addition to our rank as a Minor Basilica, the church is also a National Shrine, Marian Shrine, National Historic Landmark, and Co-Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, and we welcome all to visit and worship in what Pope John Paul II referred to as "the worldwide symbol of religious freedom."
The Baltimore Basilica, built from 1806-1821, was closed from April 2004 until November 2006, for a major restoration to return the church to its original design, as envisioned by America's first bishop, John Carroll, and as planned by renowned architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. The Basilica reopened with much fanfare and celebration, just in time to commemorate her 200th Anniversary. Within the first year of reopening, over 200,000 visitors were welcomed from all over the world, to walk through history, rejoice in faith, and admire the Basilica's stunning architecture and artwork. The Basilica is also one of Baltimore's beloved cultural institutions, offering educational tours daily, as well as hosting uplifting concerts and informative lectures.
For more on this historic cathedral visit - http://www.baltimorebasilica.org/
The Cathedral Basilica
of the Sacred HeartNewark, New Jersey
"A fitting monument to the faith"
On June 11, 1899 at the laying of the cornerstone for the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart Bishop Bernard McQuaid spoke of Newark's great Cathedral as "a fitting monument to the faith". It is this key thought which permeates all aspects of the Cathedral project, from its inception in 1859 by the Most Rev. James Roosevelt Bayley, Newark's first bishop, to its dedication in 1954 by Archbishop Thomas A. Boland. For a Cathedral is more than stone and mortar...much more than multi-colored glass and delicate woodcarving. In the words of the late Pope Paul VI: "The secret of a Cathedral is an expression of the unity of believers." In its totality, a Cathedral is a symphony of praise to Almighty God!
For more history and a virtual tour of this magnificent cathedral visit - www.cathedralbasilica.org/